[Phys-L] Re: Interesting quotation about percentages

Ah the ambiguities of the English language. I have been told that in
Aremenian it is difficult to make an ambiguous construction, but as I do not
speak the language I can not verify it. Does this means one can not make
good puns in Aremenian?

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I don't quite agree. The original statement is always correct. To see
what I mean, I rewrite: 3% exceeds 2% by 50% AND by one percentage
point. Carl also suggested another method less commonly used, i.e.
percents, note the "s". However, it is cacophonous when the amount is
one.

For sometime I've been frustrated by the two conflicting uses of
percentage. One as a concept or algorithm and the other as a unit.
Recently I've noticed in the popular media (news papers, TV, etc.) the
use of point(s) w/ the latter meaning.