[Phys-L] Re: Science curriculum sequence: Grades 6 - 12

"I had shop and mechanical drawing and was good with my hands and could
visualize and sketch things."

Yes, I had print shop, mechanical drawing, a general shop (of the latter
all I remember is making a ring from a tooth brush handle and a motor
from magnet wire, nails, wood, etc. This all in the seventh grade. At
North High they just eliminated the last shop (wood). Sometime ago they
converted the welding and machine shop into a weight room. Furthermore,
the consequence of "high tech." for autos is that even I don't dare do
more on our Corolla than remove the door panels and replace the
motorized window system. Another example is computer repair. We
(advanced lab) had an old HP computer, which we kept, because the new
spectrum analyzer (HP) only communicated w/ a GPIB. When the display
failed, I knew everything else was OK, as the sounds were the same when
I idid the boot procedure, so I ordered the repair manual thinking I'd
replace the flyback, horiz. osc, damper diode, or whatever. Where I
expected the circuit was a box labeled deflection board! One of my HS
buddies kept up a model A, and when I got a beetle I did everything, but
engine and xmission. [replaced clutch, did brakes including cylinders,
ignition, replaced cables, paralleled cable from batt. to starter,
overhauled carb. and fuel pump, etc., etc.]

The chief engineer for the development of the proximity fuse said (PBS)
he "hired" mainly radio hams. Looking at recent ARRL handbooks and the
licenses convinces this may be the last hold out on tech. do it
yourself, even tho. my communication using the 420 mHz band w/ tubes is
now replaced by xtal controlled ic oscillators, etc.

bc

Michael Edmiston wrote:

cut

We need algebra, geometry, trig taught well. We need students to write
across the curriculum. We need all courses to help students think
clearly and logically. Perhaps we need shop experiences for all
students (both sexes) to get them using their hands for more things than
pressing the buttons and moving the joy sticks of computer games.

When I was in high school I was already a good writer before I got to
senior physics. I was already really good at algebra, geometry, trig.
I had shop and mechanical drawing and was good with my hands and could
visualize and sketch things. I could take good notes, I could solve
problems. (I could even sing and play a musical instrument.) Thus, by
the time I took physics as a senior, I was prepared to do some really
good physics and I wouldn't have traded that year for any other
sequence.

This all happened because my school (a rural public school with 600
students in grades 9-12; a graduating class of 153) was an outstanding
school with outstanding teachers... and I was a good student. I guess I
cannot say there was "no child left behind" at my school, but I find it
difficult to blame the school for that. I saw teachers trying really
hard to reach everyone, and I can remember these incidents clear back to
first grade.

I didn't have one bad teacher from grade one through grade 12. I'll go
beyond that... I had only excellent teachers from grade one through
grade 12. But the curriculum was just an ordinary curriculum delivered
very well. Most of my classmates were receptive to this and
learned/experienced a lot. Grades ranged from failure all the way to A
(and there were no 4-points). Not everyone got A grades, not everyone
went to college, not everyone who went to college graduated... but I
still think my school was outstanding. My sister and brother who went
through the same school 3 years and 5 years later than I did will tell
you the very same thing.

Unfortunately, my two nephews who went through the same school a
generation later will not tell you the same thing. It is still a good
school. But it now suffers the same problems as most schools... student
apathy, little parent support, over dominance of sports, difficulty
passing levies, some mediocre teachers that were not weeded out by
administrators who have not done their jobs, a watered-down curriculum
with too many paths to graduation (i.e. loopholes that allow students to
avoid the standard curriculum I had).

cut

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry