[Phys-L] power-grid physics

Hi --

Shortly after the huge 14 August 2003 blackout, we had a
nice discussion of power-grid physics.

I have collected, polished, and extended my notes on the
subject, and put them at
http://www.av8n.com/physics/power-grid.htm

You may be particularly interested in the section on
"voltage stability" which is new:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/power-grid.htm#sec-vstab
and BTW it contains a nice real-world application of
a Norton equivalent circuit to simplify the discussion
of a situation where ∂I/∂V might go to zero (which
would create annoying infinities in the more obvious
Thévenin equivalent circuit).

BTW in my estimation, the chance of having another
huge blackout is as big as it ever was.

Comments are welcome.