[Phys-L] Physics Modeling Workshops nationwide, this summer

March 31, 2005
ANNOUNCEMENT (please forward to other physics teachers):

Modeling Workshops in high school physics and/or physical science will
be held in summer 2005 in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Kansas,
Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, and Wisconsin. Pending
funding, they will be held in Chicago IL and Virginia.
Visit <http://modeling.asu.edu> for details. Click on "Modeling
Workshops Nationwide in Summer 2005".
Modeling Workshops are peer-led. Modeling Instruction is the only high
school science program recognized by the U.S. Dept.of Education as
EXEMPLARY.

Most teachers greatly value Modeling Instruction. For example:
* Jane Nelson, Orlando, FL (Disney high school math/science awardee,
Presidential science awardee) wrote: "In thirty years of teaching, nothing
has impacted my teaching, since my first days of learning how to teach
science in undergraduate school, like the ideas I've learned in modeling.
It is the best idea to enter the teaching methods I have ever seen."
* David Braunschweig, Madison, WI (retired; consultant for Vernier
Software & Technology) wrote: "After the first year of teaching using the
modeling method, I wished I had learned about modeling years ago."
---------------------------------
ARIZONA:
High school physics teachers nationwide are invited to apply for FREE
tuition, FREE apartment housing, and a stipend for these summer graduate
courses at Arizona State University in Tempe (a suburb of Phoenix).
Modeling Workshops in mechanics (June 13-July 1 or July 5-29)
Modeling Workshop in chemistry (June 13-July 1) NEW COURSE!
Modeling Workshops in electricity (CASTLE, microscopic models)
Modeling Workshops in waves, light
Modeling Workshop in 9th grade phys sci (June 13-July 1 in Phoenix)
Energy & the Environment
Integrated Chemistry & Physics
Spacetime Physics
Advanced Modeling Workshop
Leadership workshop
Teachers may want to enroll in these courses to earn credit towards
re-certification, or to pursue an interdisciplinary
Master of Natural Science degree (MNS). Take one course or several!

Each summer, 150 teachers (3/4 of whom don't have a degree in physics)
participate. They express high satisfaction! They've said:
* I learned a tremendous amount and am all fired up to teach physics this fall!
* Most useful course I have taken since becoming a teacher.
* It was a great class. As soon as you know anything about next summer's
classes, let me know. I would like to attend the next class in the series.
* It was an incredible experience and it has changed my outlook on how to
teach completely.
"I LOVE this program!"

Visit <http://modeling.asu.edu> and scroll down to "ASU graduate
program...". Bookmark the website for future reference. Download the
APPLICATION FOR FINANCIAL SUPPORT. Don't delay! NSF funding for teachers is
available in summer 2005, but not after that. (We have good family housing,
& inexpensive!)

Cheers,
Jane Jackson <jane.jackson@asu.edu> 480-965-8438

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics & Astronomy,ASU,Tempe,AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331 <http://modeling.asu.edu>
For 15 years, the Modeling Instruction Program has been
helping teachers attain knowledge and skills needed
to benefit their students. Modeling Instruction is the
only high school science program recognized as Exemplary
by the U.S. Department of Education.