[Phys-L] qualitative reasoning +- parametric methods

Hi --

Here's a little trick that is not as well known as it ought to
be. It is useful for quickly getting a qualitative feel for
a problem, and often almost as quickly getting an exact answer.

First I will illustrate the method on a simple math problem.
Then I will apply it to a physics problem that came up on the
list last week.

1) Suppose you are asked to find the sum of the first N
multiples of three.
N=1 S=3
N=2 S=3+6
N=3 S=3+6+9

Now presumably most of you can answer this in less time
than it takes to ask the question. But suppose you were a
student who didn't know the trick for this particular series,
or suppose I had chosen a more-challenging example ... the
point here is the method, not the result.

Anyway, the method goes like this. We know the sum is bounded
above by the integral of a straight line. That is, draw the
graph that has N on one axis and piecewise-flat steps 3N high
in the other direction. Draw a line that passes through the
left end of each tread (i.e. the top of each riser). The area
under the step-function is the quantity we seek, and it is
bounded above by the area under the line.

We also know the sum (S) is bounded below by the area under another
line, i.e. the line passing through the right end of each tread
(i.e. the bottom of each riser).

For both lines, we know the area (as a function of N) is going to
be some polynomial of degree 2. Since S is bounded above and
below by such things, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to
guess that S itself is some polynomial of degree 2. (You can
actually prove that, but I won't bother.)

So we write
S = a + b N + c N^2
and all we have to do is determine the parameters (a, b, and c).

The parameter (a) is a gimme, since S=0 when N=0.

Since S=3 when N=1, we have
3 = b + c

And since S=9 when N=2, we have
9 = 2 b + 4 c

At this point we have two linear (!) equations in two unknowns.
You can solve this in your head.

Now ... as a second task, consider the sum of the _squares_ of
the first N multiples of 3. There is not (so far as I know) a
handy trick for doing this sum (as there is for arithmetic series),
so the parametric method is (as far as I know) easiest way to
attack this problem. You get a cubic, with four parameters to
be determined. Again one is trivial. You are left with three
linear equations in three unknowns.

This approach (slightly generalized) plays a huge role in other
fields including pattern recognition and machine learning.

Computer-math programs (like Mathematica, Macsyma, Maple ....)
use parametric methods for doing indefinite integrals.

Now you may be wondering what this has got to do with physics.

In the context of a ball of mass m entering a box of mass M