From: Forum for Physics Educators [mailto:PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu]On
Behalf Of John M Clement
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 11:22 AM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: In the Private Universe

One of the things that has been ignored in discussion of the seasons
is that it is a cognitively difficult thing to understand.

*lots of good stuff snipped*

A useful thing would be to have a model of the earth where the
students could observe the amount of light intensity/area. I would
propose a globe with either a light sensor imbedded in it attached to
a meter, or a translucent section that provides light in the interior,
and a peephole that students could observe the light intensity. Then
students could see the effect of the angle. Then they could explore
how the angle and the illumination changes with the seasons.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX