[Phys-L] Re: In the Private Universe

Reading errors are different from comprehension errors, and some physics
concepts are very hard to understand. Both the manuals and physics texts
need to be better written! Monumental task, especially for the physics
authors.

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu> on Thursday,
February 24, 2005 at 9:17 AM -0500 wrote:

| I see your point, but reading a VCR manual is much easier
| than a student reading/understanding a physics text for a
| potential grade. You can't compare the two.

Not really wanting to get in a long discussion, but I suspect the
difference isn't as much as you indicate. Particularly when I see the
kinds of reading errors (lack of critical reading skills) which are
often precisely the ones that lead to misinterpreting manuals (the well
written ones).