[Phys-L] Re: In the Private Universe

You make a good point about observation. I think it is very powerful to
have students observe the motion of the sun through the year, thinking
about in that geocentric way...the motion of the sun. And then ask the
question, if we want the sun to stationary and the earth to move, how
must it do it. Then give them the stuff that Vickie spoke about, and
let them have at it.

joe

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

Jerry Mander wrote a book about this [JB's 1st sentence], inter alia.

This applies to Marx's noticing the picture trumps the text.

http://www.personal.usyd.edu.au/~apert/mander.htm
<http://www.personal.usyd.edu.au/%7Eapert/mander.htm>

digression:

http://www.praxagora.com/stevet/meditations/speedup.html

About the seasons. I suspect nearly everyone before Gutenberg knew why
it was warmer in the Summer. Most likely not theoretically, but from
observation. The source was operating longer and more direct higher in
the sky. I recommend an elementary school project where the students,
the same time each day, measure the height of the sun w/ a gnomon, and
using the newspaper or directly determine the length of each day for the
school year, then plot both. Today's students lack observational
skill. e.g. the wire connected to the screw base.

bc

--
Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
574-284-4662, 4968