[Phys-L] Re: In the Private Universe

-----Original Message-----
From: Forum for Physics Educators [mailto:PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu] On
Behalf Of Anthony Lapinski
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 8:22 AM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: In the Private Universe

Unfortunately, the vast majority of science textbooks (esp. physics)
are
too long, too technical, too factual, and too dry. Books should be
readable (like those by Hewitt). I imagine these are hard to write
since
science is a difficult subject. College physics texts basically all
look
the same. We need more graphics, better explanations, and shorter
books.
Who can adequately cover (and comprehend) 25-30 chapters in one year???

Yup, that kind of says it all -- "We need more graphics, better
explanations, and shorter books." Pardon my cynicism, but there are
limits to what authors can do with respect to making things easier,
shorter, and more complete.

Oren Quist
South Dakota State University