[Phys-L] Re: In the Private Universe

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Bellina" <jbellina@SAINTMARYS.EDU>

Au contraire, we need less textbooks and more active engagement.
Science is learned by scientists in discussion not by reading some
text, why would we expect more of our students.

BECAUSE...to be effectively functional in modern society you need to know
more (by age 21) than one has time to learn through 'active engagement'.
SOME, and probably LOTS of material needs to be digested through reading.
If we are to produce 'life-long learners' much of that learning will come
from READING. So I think we have every reason to expect students to be able
to learn from reading a text. That is not to diminish the importance of
using active engagement to get at some key concepts, to reinforce some ideas
that have been read, to broaden the scope of knowledge and understanding,
BUT....learning through reading must still be a key component of any
educational process.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: Animations for PowerPoint
Newton's Maze lab simulation
Simplified Energy Management Simulator
Energy 2100--class project