[Phys-L] Re: Modern Physics. Was: Re: The bulb-with-one-wire task: too tricky?

_

| Literate: In those days very few people attended college,
| not to mention the number of science students. I think it is
| the best explanation of grade inflation.

Huh, you may have to explain your reasoning. One naïve argument would say that if college classes are taught at the same level, (which of course they are not), then the above fact would indicate we should have grade deflation currently. I think the explanation of grade inflation lies mostly elsewhere.

Vickie F. stated:

The level of literacy was very high compared to today. On the other hand, a considerably smaller fraction of the population was literate.

Which is no doubt true if one defines literate as knowing how to read. However, we've seen in another thread going on at the moment statements regarding how students don't read their book. If you ask them, they'll say they've read the book; and I believe that they have gone through the motions of reading their book. But are they literate?

Mostly rhetorical questions for discussion points.

Joel R.