[Phys-L] Re: In the Private Universe

It surely is the case that when student do they are more engaged, and if
they have to think things through for themselves as they do, as opposed
to a cookbook, they will develop understanding that affects long term
memory. So it isn't enough to just do hands on, I think you have to
find a way to guide them to the learning you want them to have. That
way the own the result.

cheers,

joe

Anthony Lapinski wrote:

My kids don't listen either. Students don't listen because they are
distracted, tired, don't care, the subject is too easy/hard, or the
teacher/class is boring. Remember the Chinese proverb:

I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember.
I do and I understand.

Science should be the most exciting subject in school as it is inherently
interesting and relevant to everyone. I do many hands-on activities so
students will enjoy physics/astronomy and remember what I say -- for life
(not just for college). Everyone should know why we have seasons. Everyone
should take a good physics/astronomy class.

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu> on Wednesday,