[Phys-L] Re: The bulb-with-one-wire task: too tricky?

I've tried the exercise in a variety of situations, including calculu=
s-based physics. Even physics and pre-engineering majors sometimes h=
ave trouble with this one. In my experience, MOST people take a whi=
le to figure out the bulb, battery, and wire exercise. But they cons=
istently DO know something about light bulbs. Most people immediate=
ly see the button on the end of the screw base as important. Usually,=
they immediately try putting the wire(s) on the bottom button, and =
when that doesn't work, they go for the glass envelope because it's t=
he biggest part of the bulb. Besides, the screw threads (which are th=
e only other visible part of the bulb) have the obvious function of f=
astening the bulb in the socket. Therefore the screw base has a funct=
ion already, and is therefore eliminated from consideration - compone=
nts are allowed to have only one function. The second (electrical) f=
uncton of the base is discovered mainly by accident, if it is discove=
red at all. When given two wires, people will invariably short out t=
he battery by attaching both to the bottom button of the bulb. Nearly=
everyone realizes that two connections are necessary and that each e=
nd of the battery needs a wire. Several will ask if the polarity of t=
he battery matters. This is a reasonable question, because most peop=
le also refer to an LED as a "butb." The most frustrated will claim =
that the given task is impossible either because two wires are needed=
, or because every light bulb needs a socket. People ARE using prior=
common knowledge- this sequence of reasoning is very consistent. =
=20

IMHO, the battery-bulb thing is just a symptom of the bigger issue, w=
hich is that most people have no concept of the existence of interna=
l mechanisms, much less the need to understand internal mechanisms. I=
f you ask someone to explain "how it works," they'll probably say "pu=
sh this button and turn that knob." In everyday life, people use t=
echnology, but they can't fix it - most technology is unfixable. The=
y either throw it out or get a plumber. In everyday life, most peopl=
e never make anything that has to do something, either. Most people =
even don't do arts and crafts. "Home cooking" consists of popping so=
mething frozen into the microwave. Decades ago, Arthur C. Clarke wro=
te that "Any technology, sufficiently advanced, will be indistinguish=
able from magic." We're there.

VIckie Frohne

3. -----Original Message-----
=46rom: Forum for Physics Educators on behalf of Robert Cohen