[Phys-L] Re: collision question

The original question was framed in the context of a
collision in which there is no "premeditated" exchange
with the surroundings during the brief interaction.
Some of the original CoM KE "escapes" to the
surroundings as noise, but the time of interaction is
assumed to be so brief that any heating of the objects
that occurs during the crash does not have a chance to
"escape". Looking at the collision in this context, I
am still lacking a coherent, straightforward
explanation (for HS students) why there are several
mechanisms for CoM KE to diminish but these same
mechanisms (which for the most part involve vibrating
particles) do not result in a reduction of CoM
momentum.

In the limit, when a lump of stiff clay collides with
a lump of soft clay (on a frictionless surface), it is
easy to see that the dt's are the same for both lumps
but the dx's are not. But I don't know that this model
explains the situation of two colliding lab carts.

Still searching. John Barrere University HS,
Fresno,CA

--- Bob Sciamanda <trebor@WINBEAM.COM> wrote:

I hadn't recognized this restriction on the question
regarding
"dissipation".
When a hot object dissipates energy to its cooler
surroundings, is this not
an interaction with the external environment? I
think that you want to
restrict the word "dissipation" to only transfers
to internal modes - why?

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
http://www.winbeam.com/~trebor/