[Phys-L] Re: collision question

I'm not sure what is the underlying principle being invoked here (that a
vector quantity must be conserved, or cannot be dissipated?), but consider
the case of a ferromagnetic object. The molecular magnetic moment vectors
(m) may add up to a non-zero overall Moment Vector (M) for the object.
But, simply by heating the object I can not only dissipate this M - I can
reduce it to zero, without a compensating M arising elsewhere. No
conservation, easy dissipation, of the vector quantity M.

-Bob Sciamanda

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:45:15 -0600, John M Clement <clement@HAL-PC.ORG>