[Phys-L] Re: Lab DMM Recommendations?

Mike has certainly thought about this more than I have!

Amazing how many list topics concern money and how to use it
efficiently. Included in the tuition at some schools is a laptop while
so many others even w/ rising tuition can't afford basic necessary lab.
instruments.

I had imagined the students making up shunts from wire salvaged from
heaters. I forgot the majority of students are not future Physicists.

bc

Edmiston, Mike wrote:

Two comments...

* * * Concerning students buying meters

We do not have a lab fee. Being a small university, and competing for
students not only with other universities, but even with other
departments within the university, we haven't wanted a science major to
cost more than any other major. The department to which we lose the
most physics students is math. A lot of students find math easier than

cut

* * * Concerning buying a 200mA meter and modifying it for 2A

Been there; done that. The typical multimeter has a 200mV voltmeter at
its heart. This can become a 2A ammeter with the addition of a
0.100-ohm shunt resistor. To maintain a 1% accuracy we need at least a
1% resistor, and we need to use it properly. Mouser Electronics does
list some 1% shunt resistors for $3.40 which would serve this purpose.
To use them properly one ought to attach a pair of two-level (stackable)
banana jack/plugs so the shunt resistor can plug into the jacks where
the test leads normally go, and then the test leads can plug into that.

cut

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University