[Phys-L] Re: Travel distance in a waveguide.

Another excellent question for tap-l! Cliff Bettis from the University
of Nebraska has been doing a great speed of light experiment for years.
He pulses a diode and triggers a scope with the pulse. The pulse
reflects off an elaborate reflector - one purchased from an auto store
and returns to a photodiode. The time between pulses is easily measured.
You don't need fiber, nor waveguides, nor ... Just a pulse generator
(already have that), a fast scope such as a tek TDS series, a fast diode
and photodetector.

Sam

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

Very quick answer: (others will probably criticize and amplify.)

My understanding is that th fiber does work like a wave guide. I
suspect this is true if the relative dimensions are the same. A quick
search of the webb will reveal the truth or falsity. [aside, I think
the graded N is so total internal reflection will occur at shallower
angles than the Brewster's (right word?) determined for 1.5]

The chase: the formula for the group speed down the guide is v sub g =l.
guide dimension is for a rectangular guide with E perpendicular (lowest
mode).

Berkeley Phys. Lab. B 10 explores this including deriving the group and
phase speeds.

bc who suspects the experiment is a fraud. A less fraudulent
experiment is to use coaxial cable driven by the pulse generator.
Compare the predicted from the cable's Z w/ measured. A very common
xpt. uses a fast pulser, corner reflector (plastic bicycle or shop
entrance ones will do) and diode and detector. A little of the outgoing
light is fed (beam splitter) immediately into the detector to start the
counter or sweep and the return stops the counter or is seen on the scope.

p.s. better use for the apparatus is to determine N. In the case of a
commercial communication fiber it'll be an equivalent N. there are
many books on fiber optics both very technical and for the amateur
experimenter. Sonoma state (Cal. State U @) has a course just on fiber
optics.

Joseph Bellina wrote:

I can't answer you questions, but I will tell you I've done a similar
experiment in air...I used a modulated laser. Perhaps the intensity is
sufficient to do the same.

cheers,

joe

Michael Edmiston wrote:

We have an apparatus for measuring the speed of light in which a red LED
is pulsed at about 800 kHz; the pulses travel through a 20-meter fiber
optic cable; an oscilloscope is used to measure the time the light
pulses take to go through the cable.

The company advertizes the refractive index for the fiber is 1.50 for
the LED being used. The directions for the students say to calculate
the observed velocity as delta-x over delta-t using the length of the
cable for delta-x. Then find c = nv using 1.50 for n.

The students originally think a fiber optic cable works by multiple
reflections, and therefore suspect the actual pathlength of the light is
much greater than 20 meters. I have told them that fiber optic cables
work more like a wave guide; however, I realized I don't know exactly
what that means in terms of path length because I have no experience
working with wave guides.

My first question for this forum is... when a wave goes through a
waveguide, what is the effective length of the guide. Is it just the
physical length?

My second question is... it is my understanding that an optical fiber is
constructed so the refractive index is continuously graded from a higher
refractive index at the center to a lower refractive index near the
outside. If this is true, what does it mean to refer to a cable as
having a particular refractive index?

Putting my first two questions together, my third question becomes... is
this apparatus a fraud? Has the company simply said the refractive
index of the fiber is 1.50 so the calculation for c comes out correct?
That is, might we say n = 1.50 is an effective refractive index that we
determine from knowing c, rather than vice-versa?

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817