[Phys-L] Re: Research on Student Response Systems

I'll add one more complication. I've been using a student response
system for four years now and I'm still learning how to use it
effectively. So, one would also need to consider the preparation of the
instructor.

In my own study (which uses a simple pre/post test), it doesn't seem to
have improved learning the first two years I tried it. It is only after
I learned which questions to ask, how to get students to utilize the
information for self-assessment, and how to use it myself to change
instruction "mid-stream" that I think it has become an effective tool.

Each year, students have said they like the system (even though it costs
them $20 to use) but it was only in the last two years that I have any
evidence that learning has improved. And, of course, I have also made
other instructional changes in the past four years so it is hard to
separate out the effect of just the response system.

Robert Cohen; 570-422-3428; www.esu.edu/~bbq
East Stroudsburg University; E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301