[Phys-L] Re: Patriot Act Warrants at your local Library.

-----Original Message-----
From: Forum for Physics Educators [mailto:PHYS-
L@list1.ucc.nau.edu] On Behalf Of Michael Edmiston
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 2:16 AM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: Patriot Act Warrants at your local Library.

You used to be able to go to the library and find your
community or
county emergency plans. Being knowledgeable of what would
happen
in an
emergency used to be construed as good citizenship. Indeed,
emergency
personnel could help you better if everyone understood the
plans and if
confusion were reduced. Now it has been determined that you
are
better
off not knowing, and some increased level of confusion is
preferable in
order to avoid the risk that some individual or group of
individuals
might use knowledge of emergency plans to thwart the emergency
plans.

This is a little off topic, but I find it amusing. Two blocks
from my house there is a sign posted on a telephone pole saying
"emergency evacuation route". It has an arrow indicating the way
you should turn for the next part of the route. Out of curiosity,
I drove the evacuation route one day. After only about 15
minutes of driving and following the signs I ended up right back
at the original sign.

Bob at PC