[Phys-L] Re: Calculators a Distraction?

At 18:08 -0500 2/7/05, Edmiston, Mike wrote:

When doing iterated addition to achieve the multiplication a*b, one of a
or b is the addend while the other is the number of iterations. Let's
say b is the addend. We start with accumulator = zero and add b into
the accumulator a times. At that point the accumulator contains the
product. Thus, we have to have a starting value for the accumulator
(zero), and addend (b), and we have to keep track of the iterations
until (a) iterations have been performed.

Of course, when a is not an integer, then the process includes a few
more steps, and starts to look something like an inverse of the
process that JD outlined as the basis for the long division algorithm.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they
will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams