[Phys-L] Re: Calculators a Distraction?

Not yet? mentioned: another reason for showing work is cheating
detection/ prevention. I found a considerable amount of cheating during
my short stint at substitute HS teaching.

bc, who thinks successful cheaters are prepared for life.

Ironically, I suspect as an Econ. student it was ALL show work.

Bob LaMontagne wrote:

I use a similar way to assign points, but I've learned to not be rigid about
it. I tell the students that by providing me with as much information as
possible as to how they got the final result, I can give them more partial
credit when the arithmetic gets messed up.

A colleague announced a similar point distribution when grading homework.
One of our freshmen kept giving basically the answer and not much else when
handing in assignments. The faculty member dug in his heels and announced
before the first exam how points were to be awarded and that unsupported
results would not be accepted. The student obviously took that as a
challenge and handed in an exam that had ONLY the final answers and his name
on the front. He did everything in his head or on his calculator and
received a very low grade for an exam that was either perfect or close to
it. He did exactly the same on the second hour exam. After two low grades he
switched majors to Economics where he was one of their star students. I'm
not really sure who the winner in that little tug of war was - the faculty
member or the student - certainly not our department.

Bob at PC