[Phys-L] Re: Calculators a Distraction?

I can't say that any "real-world" scenarios come to mind to
justify the need for division, but I certainly see the effects in
my Calculus classes. Because math teachers have opted to
teach calculator skills, few of my calculus students can do
any algebra that involves fractions - complex or otherwise.

Isn't knowledge of fractions, multiplication and long division
necessary for doing algebra (and therefore calculus)? I find
that I have to teach long division and complex fractions in my
Calc classes so that students can learn to do such operations
as integrating certain functions and finding oblique asymptotes,
among others.

I agree that these are not, for most people, necessary. Nonetheless,
I don't think that students should come into advanced classes without
a firm foundation in these skills.

Perhaps (likely) I've misunderstood the point being made by Bob.

John Denker writes:
I've been racking my brain, trying to think of a real-world
scenario where somebody would need to do division, without
having easy access to a calculator. I haven't come up with
any. The only times I've done long division recently is
when I was teaching the subject!