From: Forum for Physics Educators [mailto:PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu] On
Behalf Of Dan Folmar
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2005 7:38 PM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Calculators a Distraction?

I'm a fairly new teacher; and I'm currently teaching Applied, General,
Honors, and AP physics at the high school level. One thing I've observed
regarding students' performance on tests is that they rely too much (or at
least more than I would like) on their calculators. Lower level students
will punch some numbers in, hit enter, and write down any answer that looks
reasonable. Higher level students (particularly, AP students) can avoid
writing down the steps of their solutions (and writing out the units and
showing me their thought process) by letting their programmable calculators
do most of the work.

I'm interested to hear the group's opinion on giving "no calculator" tests.
These tests would still include difficult problems; however, the actual
calculation pieces would work out so that the work could be done manually
without too much additional time. Alternatively, solutions would be written
in terms of fundamental units rather than numbers.

Also, if you have experience with these types of tests, do you have any
advice on developing appropriate questions? Do any online sources exist for
these?

Thanks,
Dan Folmar
Springfield H.S., Delaware County, PA