[Phys-L] ear pressure

I know that humans can withstand accelerations of around 7 g's before
passing out, and that fighter pilots often wear G suits to handle up to 9
g's or so. I'm now teaching fluids, and a student asked what pressures the
human body (specifically, the ear) can withstand. Does anyone know these
limits when going under water (ear drum pressing inward), or rising in the
atmosphere (ear drum pressing outward?