[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: 'Seeing' frequencies above 30-40Hz (fwd)

Mark Lucas wrote:

In the first, I have the problem that we're not necessarily going
to 'see' a rate much above 20-40Hz. On the flip side, we're not going to
hear a rate much below 20Hz. 'Seeing' also includes the problem of the
stroboscopic effect of fluorescent lights.

Good points.

Does anyone have a low-budget activity in which one can experience
the relationship between rate of vibration and pitch?

Here's something pretty low-budget: the proverbial playing-card
held against the spokes of a bicycle-wheel.

This gives you an N-to-1 advantage, where N is the number of
spokes.
-- They can _see_ the reflector going around at one rate, and
-- they can _hear_ the buzz at N times the rate.

I'm sure you can come up with many variations on this idea.