[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: Joe (was: Arizona State etc.)

Greetings!

I beleive that the job market has been tighter due to recent budgetary problems.
The big research institutions aren't hiring (much). My institution has been
quite fortunate to be able to hire a number of faculty in spite of tremendous
budget givebacks due to our cutting staff and smallish programs instead. We
have seen an increase in the number of qualified PhDs(read: good teachers --on
paper) as applicants. This happens periodically. As the economy gets tough,
we see/hire more PhD's. As the job market relaxes, we see/hire fewer. I can
say that in the past several years, I have hired some really fantastic PhDs and
some that I could do without. I have also hired some really fatastic Masters
and some I can do without. I don't care to consider the level of education as
that is not a clear indicator of ability. Although, I have seen administrators
who will jump for a PhD over a Masters any day.

Mariam Dittmann

Quoting "Frohne, Vickie" <VFrohne@BEN.EDU>:

So how about it, Ph=
ys-L friends? What's your "take" on the high school/community colleg=
e job market? What are your opinions about the odds that a Ph.D. wit=
h college-level teaching experience could get a job as high school p=
hysics/math teacher? =20
=20
Vickie Frohne