[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: Listening Skills (was test)

Welcome to the club, and, no, it is not new. About 20 years ago I was
teaching a similar course. I'm a firm believer in the weekly quiz, and
always preceded it by taking questions. A couple of years I've had a
student who, spookily, invariably asked a question that was almost
identical to a test question. I'd answer with a straight face and no
particular emphasis, and it didn't seem to make much difference in the
test answers. I'd review the test in the next class period and comment on
the coincidence, but it didn't make much difference.

Evidently, it justt wasn't that important.

When I taught a calculus-based sequence from Mechanical Universe, matters
were quite different. Students quickly formed a study group, and I had
to be careful about my choice of weekly quiz problems.

The sociology was different. There was a sense of cometition with
students who were taking the "plug and chug" calulus course.
Regards,
Jack