[Phys-L] Re: water outflow (was earthquake)

Let's try viscosity as a major factor.

At 1:42 PM -0500 12/28/04, John Denker wrote:
Pete Lohstreter wrote:

> I attribute it mostly to surface tension (cohesion).

Other factors may be in play, but I expect this is the major factor.

Nope. Capillarity is not a significant factor in a tsunami.

My simple model has the energy/momentum traveling as a giant vortex,
with horizontal axis.
The rotation is such that the leading edge of the 'rolling' water is
traveling downward.

There is a boundary layer between the vortex and the 'still' ocean water.

As the rolling water encounters depths that are comparable to the
diameter of the vortex, it must 'climb' up the sloping submerged
beach.

The boundary layer is pulling the beach water under the vortex,
producing the outflow.

Anything having to do with vortices, relates to turbulence and is
therefore beyond human understanding ;-)