[Phys-L] Re: projectiles

this probably is off the wall, but could not one fire a projectile at 45
deg. find what its angle is at height h and that be it? For the speed
it's the problem's given speed + what a rock would have at the ground
dropped from h.

bc, often crooked thinker

Anthony Lapinski wrote:

Neglecting air resistance, we all know that the maximum range for a
projectile occurs when the launch angle is 45° on level ground. But what
if the object is launched from a cliff of height H above the ground? Here,
the maximum range occurs at less than 45°. I've searched most of the
college texts I have, but I can't find a "range formula" that has the
height included. Is there such an equation with an initial height (similar
to R = v^2 sin2q/g on level ground)?