[Phys-L] Re: coefficient of friction or drag

Forum for Physics Educators <PHYS-L@list1.ucc.nau.edu> on Thursday,
December 23, 2004 at 8:13 AM -0600 wrote:
I am planning to conduct a model rocket project with a high school physics
class and I wanted them to collect data on their rockets.
One of the variables that I wanted them to determine is the coefficient of
friction or drag on the parachute as the rocket came back down.
I wanted to get an opinion on the best way to accomplish this.
My first thought was to have them find the velocity of the rocket on its
descent and calculate the velocity of the rocket where there is no
friction.
Then use the frictionless rocket as the accepted value and the velocity
they
found for their descent as the experimental value.
(Accepted value minus experimental value)/ accepted value. The
difference
in the velocities is due to friction or drag.

What might be a better way?
They will know the beginning mass, ending mass, altitude, and time of
flight
both up and down.

http://www.pcprg.com/rounddes.htm
Try this. It might help...

Pete Lohstreter "Happy is he who gets to know
The Hockaday School the reasons for things. "
11600 Welch Rd Virgil (70-19 BCE) Roman poet.
Dallas, TX 75229

214-360-6389

plohstreter@mail.hockaday.org

See what our students are doing......