[Phys-L] Elevators

With regard to elevators lacking a button for the 13the floor, even
though there may be 20 floors in the building, I always tell my stude=
nts
when I discuss pseudoscience with them about a common example of a
superstition: a fancy hotel in Dallas, called the Anatole, does not h=
ave
a 13th floor if you use the elevator, but if you go outside the build=
ing
and count there is a 13th floor. I also remember a motel in Gila Ben=
that had rooms attached to each other in a row, but the room with the
number 13 was missing, the rooms went from 12 to 14. So the
superstition can also go horizontally.
=20
James Espinosa