[Phys-L] Re: Spring question

--- Aaron Titus <titus@MAILAPS.ORG> wrote in part:

I really think that you'd get more correct answers
on the question
below if it was worded differently (maybe not the
way I worded it
though) or if it included an animation. Often,
students just don't
visualize what you are asking and lock in on a
particular answer
because of the way the question is worded. I believe
that this affects
the validity of concept tests more than physics ed
researchers realize.

I agree and believe that students must be very
proficient readers to understand many of the questions
in the FCI and other similar instruments. Does anyone
know of a way to evaluate students' scientific reading
skills? John Barrere University HS Fresno,CA