[Phys-L] Re: accelerating charge

Carl wrote:

John Mallinckrodt replied to my message:

>I know what the second part is and rather than venture my own
>speculations, you might want to take a look at
>
><http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath528/kmath528.htm>

WOW, Slo, that's eerie! I'm almost ready to believe in ESP. Dead on
target, I indeed was going to next invoke the equivalence principle
and have Bob be stationary in a gravitational field.

Shucks, it wasn't really that hard to guess especially considering the source.

That URL discusses lots of interesting stuff. Why haven't I ever
heard of all this? Is it discussed further in published work? (I'm
baffled as to who the author(s) of "mathpages" is. Can you enlighten
me further about this interesting set of webpages?) And just how did
you happen to have exactly the right URL at your fingertips?

The truth is, after seeing where you were going and scratching my own
head a bit, I had begun to compose a message suggesting that even if
charges in uniform gravitational fields DO radiate, the power would
be exceedingly small if g = 10 N/kg. I had done a dimensional
analysis along the lines of that done by John Denker to find that the
power would be on the order of

P ~ k_e q^2 g^2/c^3

and had calculated that even a fairly large charge of 1 microC would
emit something like a fraction of a yoctoW and was looking for
confirmation of my dimensional argument before posting. So I googled
something like "accelerated charge radiation" and one of the first
few hits was the page I forwarded. I found it fascinating enough
that I dumped the message I had been composing in its favor.

I also noticed that Kevin Brown, the author of mathpages, seems
surprisingly retiring. I don't know anything about him other than
that he appears to live in Kent, Washington and is a prolific writer.

I'm off to Seattle tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll look him up.

John "Slo" Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics and Lead Guitarist
Cal Poly Pomona Out-Laws of Physics