[Physltest] [Phys-L] HS prospects (was: Joe (was: Arizona State etc.))

What's your "take" on the high
school/community college job market?

In our area, our physics and math graduates have had no problem finding
positions in high schools but you may have to expand your geographic
area.

What are your
opinions about the odds that a Ph.D. with college-level
teaching experience could get a job as high school
physics/math teacher?

There are two problems. The first is that schools are very tentative
when it comes to hiring people with no HS-level teaching experience
because such people usually don't work out. If you can substitute teach
or act as a teacher's assistant for a time, you'll probably increase
your chances (and also have a better idea what you're getting yourself
into). The second is that public schools are under pressure to have all
of their teachers certified. In some states, this is easier to obtain
than others. For example, NJ is easier than PA.

P.S. As for PhDs required for college teaching, it seems to me that many
places require them not only for the prestige but also because it cuts
down on the number of applications people have to look at. For the same
reason, make sure you have all of the letters and other requirements
spelled out in the ad. The problem is not that the PhD is meaningless
or that teaching experience is meaningless but rather that "teaching
ability" is hard to measure and even harder to assess from someone's
vita or quickie presentation. Consequently, people will use almost
anything (reasonable and objective) that limits the pool to a manageable
number.