[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: "Effective" teaching methods

A colleague of mine is a former industrial physicist. He told me of =
a study in which a firm was trying to influence employee's productivi=
ty. For example, they found that playing music improved productivit=
y. Turning off the music a month later also improved productivity. =
They tried changing the color of the walls, and I don't know what els=
e. The final analysis: It was change itself that improved productivit=
y, not the specific nature of the changes. IMHO, teaching fads are s=
ort of like that. Teachers get bored, especially if they're cycling =
through the same material year after year. Students get bored, too. =
Change perks up everybody. =20

As for "miracle" cures in education, teaching syles are a personal as=
shoes. A good teacher adopts or adapts various methodologies accordi=
ng to what fits him or her, and tries new things from time to time to=
keep his or her teaching fresh. ANY technique might work well for on=
e instructor and not another. This is often forgotten by the purveyo=
rs of the "miracle" cures.

Vickie Frohne