[Physltest] [Phys-L] Re: Will NCLB Promote Direct Instruction of Science?

Herb,

In my experience, the cycle seemed shorter - maybe about 10 years total. For
the most part, what I've seen in the first part of the cycle agrees with
what you've stated. However, in the second part I've noticed a gradual
creeping in of the traditional lecture approach to augment the "new and
improved" method. Despite all of its flaws, the students seem to need and
want some type of formal presentation. In the last part of the cycle, almost
everyone I've worked with has reverted to the "old" approach of lecture and
review of homework or sample problems.

The old "Keller Plan" that was very popular a while back was a revolt
against the rigid pace of the traditional lecture format - it stressed
students progressing at individual rates through blocks of material. Papers
on the Keller Plan died out from the literature in about 4-5 years. No one
came up with a "new" plan that specifically replaced the Keller Plan.
Instead, instructors gradually brought back the traditional uniform syllabus
that gave students a specific timetable - mainly because students feel more
comfortable with specific guidelines.

The "Peer Group" approach went through a similar cycle (at least at the
institutions where I have worked). Again, after the initial 5 years or so,
no one wrote papers denouncing the peer approach - there was just a gradual
drift back to lectures - first with one formal lecture per week to
supplement the peer meeting - then two - then eventually back to the
standard lecture format. Much of the pressure to do this was from
disgruntled students who wanted everyone to be presented with the same
material on a uniform schedule.

To summarize, I haven't experience one method replacing another. What I've
seen are repeated attempts to replace traditional lecture that have all died
a quiet death. Each new method has always used the lecture as its straw man,
not the previous "new" idea.

Bob at PC