Re: Math and Physics Teacher partnership?

On Nov 7, 2004, at 8:02 PM, Daryl L. Taylor wrote:
My answer is simple. Teach
physics. Not Math. If the kids can't handle the Math needed, it's on
them.
PERIOD.

I would like to agree with your high standards, but physics is an
elective at my school ( as with most HS) and I could easily reduce my
teaching load from five classes to 5 students using your philosophy.

I have started physics programs in two schools now and have increased
enrollment fivefold in both. My predecessors in both schools probably
did a much more rigorous job (more to the standards and practices you
describe), but to only one small section. I teach a lower level of
physics to many more students. I truly think this is better. I even
have one student this year interested in becoming a physics major.
What's interesting is that he is back in school (on probation) after
expulsion. He is now working to catch up and prepare for college. In
your world, he was already written off and to be frank, I would have
been too. I spent my freshmen year of college in remedial math courses
after failing my placement exams. I still hold hard feelings toward my
HS math teachers who passed me with A's and B's. A total load of 8
courses my freshman first semester almost washed my out of school.
Probably the only reason I made it was the help given by my HS chem
teacher who did make us learn some algebra.

In reality, I have clients not students. No clients; no job - this is
my reality until someone mandates physics in the HS. When I first
started teaching, I was new and appalled at the level of math skills -
how could I possibly teach physics to someone who is not quite sure
which number goes into a calculator first when dividing. One of my
mentors was kind enough to explain that I was to teach who came to
class, not who should be in my class. I am lucky to cover most of
mechanics plus a little EM in any given year, but I am the last chance
many of these students will have to solidify their math skill before
college. Better to actually move a kid's education forward than to put
a gold star on a well completed physics course syllabus.

As simple as it would be to slam the door on those enter without the
right skills, I cannot. So I am striving to find ways to improve the
students I have, not the ones I should have. One of my ideas is to put
some practical meaning into a math class. I believe physics might be a
good place to starting looking for this meaning.

Scott

Scott Goelzer
Physics Teacher
Coe-Brown Northwood Academy