Re: Low enrollment courses

Joel Rauber asked:

-----Original Message-----
From: RAUBER, JOEL [mailto:Joel.Rauber@SDSTATE.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 11:35 AM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Low enrollment courses

Do any of you come from schools or know of schools that cancel low
enrollment courses (sections)? If so, how do they handle exceptions?
In particular I'm interested in schools that use a mechanism along the
lines of the average section size for the department must be above a
certain magic number. Or other creative ways allowing, the often low
enrollment advanced physics courses, to proceed.

My Dean discourages low enrollment courses ... that said, when we offer
them (as we must) the aggregate faculty teaching hours are allocated on
a 4 students = 3 contact hours formula. The average annual teaching
load is 24 contact hours.

"There are only 10 kinds of people:
those who understand binary numbers,
and those who don't."
- Anonymous

Dr. George Spagna
Chair, Physics Department
Randolph-Macon College
P.O. Box 5005
Ashland, VA 23005-5505

phone: (804) 752-7344
fax: (804) 752-4724
e-mail: gspagna@rmc.edu
http://faculty.rmc.edu/gspagna

=20
Thanks. =20
=20
FYI, the magic number for a section not to be canceled at our system =
is
10 students in an undergraduate section.
=20

Joel Rauber=20
Department of Physics - SDSU=20

Joel.Rauber@sdstate.edu=20