Re: importance of Einstein

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 02:17:06 -0700, Pentcho Valev <valevp@BAS.BG>, wrote:

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 14:02:55 -0700, Shapiro, Mark
<mshapiro@EXCHANGE.FULLERTON.EDU> wrote:

There seems to be a small group of folks out there who are
anti-Einstein. Most of this has nothing at all to do with his science.

Then why don't you discuss his science? If you did, I am sure the small
group would become much larger. Here is the opinion of a famous French
scientist who does discuss Einstein's science:

http://allais.maurice.free.fr/Paradoxe.htm

"De là a résulté une incroyable situation sans aucun précédent dans
"An unbelievable situation without precedent in the whole history has
arisen: The unlimited domination for a century of a false theory, the
Theory of Relativity, resulting itself from the plagiarism of an
incontestable error. The harmful consequences for science which
resulted from it were incalculable, the orientation of science in the
wrong direction for a century, and a regression of the scientific
thought which has not finished to constitute an unsurmountable obstacle
on the way of progress."

Since I speak French and have a great interest in relativity I immediately
went to the website mentioned above and found some very interesting reading,
but not a lot of hard science.

Pentcho Valev is misrepresenting the author as "a famous French scientist who
does discuss Einstein's science". The author is Maurice Allais, a famous
French _economist_ (in fact, a recipient of the Nobel Prize in Economic
Sciences), who appears to have little more than a layman's background in
physics. Not that that is damning per se, but in his essay about Einstein and
relativity he makes a number of false statements. "Essay" is actually too
tame a word here, one might characterize his comments as a diatribe against
Einstein, making all sorts of claims that relativity is wrong, and that
Einstein plagiarized it anyway! I trust that this gentleman's reputation as
a economist will not be too greatly tarnished by this ridiculous fluff.

Without trying in this forum to attempt a critique of Allais' article, let me
here just comment on his charge of plagiarism:

It is quite true that Lorentz had independently obtained much of the formalism
of special relativity, and that Poincaré more clearly enunciated the principle
of the relativity of inertial reference frames (and first named it
"relativity", if I remember correctly). But Lorentz' work was based on a
postulated Fitzgerald contraction of electronic orbits within the atom, an
awkward and non-aesthetic starting point. Lorentz and others were trying to
explain the negative results of Michelson & Morley's interferometer
experiments, but this was frankly grasping at straws. Einstein cut through
the fog with his two principles of special relativity [(1) The laws of physics
are the same for all inertial frames and (2) The speed of light is the same in
all inertial frames.] He immediately saw that these postulates discard the
notion of absolute space and time: the relativity of simultaneity, length and
time intervals follows immediately.

Special relativity is clearly an outgrowth, a completion one might say, of
classical physics. The idea of that the state of uniform motion is "just as
good" a frame of reference as the state of "rest" far antedates Einstein. It
was at the basis of Galileo's understanding of inertia, and is clearly present
in Newton's famous 3 laws, particularly the first one. The Lorentz
transformation and the constancy of the speed of light (actually of all
electromagnetic radiation) is implicit in Maxwell's formulation of
electromagnetism (1873).

The genius of Einstein's approach lies in which long-believed axioms he was
willing to discard (*), and which simple, elegant axioms he chose to accept.
Einstein himself later said that he did not even remember reading about the
Michelson's experiments, but started at first principles of how the universe
must work in order to make sense. (That is, behave in a logical consistent
manner, irrespective of which observer's point of view is taken).

(* Such as time flowing at the same rate for all observers.)

I move on to a quote from Pentcho Valev's follow up message:

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 19:07:02 -0500, Gonzalez-Espada, Wilson