Re: Cloud chambers

I didn't mention the "really" cheapies I also inherited from UCB. In
searching for more info on the deluxe ones, I found this:

http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/news/Sci_teachers_workshop/cloud.htm

the drwng near the bottom is the cheapie.

bc, about to throw them out.

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

I have since found the UCB cloud chambers. Home made as just about
all of their ed. apparatuses, to at least ~ the 90's. It has both a
clearing field and a heater!

The power cord leads to a full wave rectifier, in the bottom, the
output of which goes to banana jacks. The lid has, inside, three in
series wire wound resistors connected to a banana plugs cord. One of
the ban. cords is also connected to the inside of the bottom layer of
the lid, aluminum.

bc

p.s. photo's available to those who squeak.

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

cut

Denardo purchased one for the Modern Phys. Lab I "run". It is
impressive and additional source(s) are unnecessary at least in a
concrete building. Cosmic ray dendritus may be all we saw. For a
time UCB had an experiment using rather small (~ half the diameter of
Cenco's) Chambers. I took several at the not so recent give away,
and haven't tried one.

cut