Re: spherical geometry

At 12:19 PM 8/19/2004, you wrote:
///
Things may have changed dramatically with the advent of GPS
navigation, which occurred long after I got out of the navigation
business. I would expect that computerized nagivation systems will
automatically calculate the heading on a great circle route, leaving
the navigator with precious little to do, once a chip is clear of
harbor restrictions.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

Lorans and GPS units offer cross track error, which can make for an easy
approach to great circle flying or sailing. I seem to recall that
sail boat autopilots have more usually coupled to off wind angle,
or compass heading.

Coupling an aircraft to a fixed VOR magnetic heading also offers
great circle flight, an effect which moves the regulatory authorities
to warn that the usable range of en route navaids of this kind should be
limited.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!