Re: Tall Waves More Common Than Expected

Sci. Am. had an article on them in my dim past.

Perhaps not so many have been reported because the reporters are dead.

bc, who wonders if wave heights / frequency fit Poisson Stats.

p.s. I'm generally disappointed w/ Sci. Am. since W H Freeman was
bought out. Is it I or do others agree? Shawn Carlson isn't so happy
either!

Brian Whatcott wrote:

Yahoo! News today, carried a piece on tall waves and some
research done three years ago.

"...ESA tasked two of its Earth-scanning satellites, ERS-1 and ERS-2,
to monitor the oceans with their radar.

The radars send back "imagettes" -- a picture of the sea surface in a
rectangle measuring 10 by five kilometers (six by 2.5 miles) that is t
aken every 200 kms (120 miles).

Around 30,000 separate "imagettes" were taken by the two satellites
in a three-week project, MaxWave, that was carried out in 2001.

Even though the research period was brief, the satellites identified more
than 10 individual giant waves around the globe that measured more
than 25 metres (81.25 feet) in height, ESA said in a press release.

The waves exist "in higher numbers than anyone expected," said
Wolfgang Rosenthal, senior scientist with the GKSS Research
Centre in Geesthacht, Germany, who pored over the data.

"The next step is to analyse if they can be forecasted," he said.

Ironically, the research coincided with two "rogue wave" incidents
in which two tourist cruisers, the Bremen and the Caledonian Star,
had their bridge windows smashed by 30-metre (100-feet) monsters
in the South Atlantic.

The Bremen was left drifting without navigation or propulsion for
two hours after the hit...."

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!