Re: Block sliding on curvilinear surface

At 05:19 PM 7/2/2004, John M., you wrote:
>A block with mass m, originally at rest slides downward on a
>curvilinear surface given by y = (9x)^1/2 and r = 9cot(angle)
>cos(angle). This is a parabola on its side. Does the block leaves
>the surface before reaching the ground (y = 0)?

Unless I am misinterpreting something, it seems to me that the answer
has to be an unequivocal "yes" since the surface is vertical at the
point that it touches the ground.

Perhaps the puzzle would be more interesting for John, if it
were couched like this:
"What is the minimal length of frictionless block which allows
the block to stay in contact with the parabolic surface when it
contacts the base plane?"

>What is the minimum value for n in such way that the block will
>leave the surface? (y = (nx)^1/2)

My guess is that the block leaves the surface for any positive value of n.
///

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!