Cosmology

The following is from another list -- a copyeditors list -- where the
editor is asking if the grammar can be improved. I am wondering if the
sentence make any sense at all.

Comments?

If the universe were finite and smaller than the distance to the "surface
of last scattering" (the place in deep space from whence comes the cosmic
microwaves and that constitutes the edge of the visible universe), then
multiple images should show up in the microwave background.

Please focus on the parenthetical comment. I've rewritten it to say: "the
place in deep space where the cosmic microwaves originate and that
constitutes the edge of the visible universe," but the two clauses joined
by "and" are not parallel.

Jim

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com