Re: Energy level diagrams

Bernard Cleyet wrote:
I just needed the meaning of principle, i.e. higher intensity
(brighter),

1) I think it's spelled "principal". Spelling matters
to google.

2) I'm not convinced the spectroscopic 'p' has anything
to do with brightness. I quote from
http://pub2.bravenet.com/faq/show.php?usernum=138622193&catid=589#q1

One of the patterns was whether the lines appeared Sharp or Diffuse
on photographic film. Another was whether they fitted into the
same patterns as hydrogen lines: Principal.

So sharp and diffuse apply to the appearance of individual
lines, whereas principal applies to the spacing between
lines.

Some references say f stands for "further" (although
"fundamental" is more common).

The fact that there is divergence of opinion indicates that
the letters are for all practical purposes arbitrary. Looking
for deep meaning in them is a waste of time.