Re: Energy level diagrams

According to Herzberg, Atomic Spectra and Atomic Structure, 1945, the principal series contains energy transitions that start on the 1S level and end on any of the P levels above.

The sharp series starts on the 2P level and ends on an S level.

The diffuse series starts on the 2P and ends on a D level.

The series that starts on the 3D level and ends on an F level is called the Bergmann series. Why this is called "fundamental" now is not clear in his book.

Since the principal series deals with transitions from the ground energy state, the name makes sense. It also makes sense that these spectral lines would be bright (both in absorption and emission). We also know, due to selection rules, that the transitions must go to (or come from) a P state.

Beyond this, I think a spectroscopist might be able to give more insight but I am not sure there is too much more fundamental meaning that can be ascribed to the S, P, D, and F designation (than has already been discussed in this thread). The history, of course, is fascinating. I will enjoy a discussion in a decade or so about where terms like "color," "strange," and "charm" came from.

Cheers,

Rick

Richard E. Swanson, Ph.D.
Dean of Instruction
Physics Professor
Sandhills Community College, Pinehurst, NC 28374
swansonr@sandhills.edu (910) 695-3715

anngeorg@PACBELL.NET 06/06/04 04:46PM >>>
More than it -- I just needed the meaning of principle, i.e. higher
intensity (brighter), except I don't understand how fundamental means
isolated.

Is it simply selection rules that make p lines brighter (not violated)?

bc, endangered by a little knowledge