Re: book sharing

> I assume that Pamela was simply stating that she is
> comfortable with students choosing not to buy the required
> text and was not arguing against reading quizzes.

I think quizes should be used to test the students' conceptual knowledge
rather than to check that they read a specific book. In my own learning,
I've more than once opted to rely most heavily on a text other than the
one recommended by an instructor. This is a different discussion
however, and centers more on learning styles, assessment tools, and
course expectations.

When it comes to the question of purchasing or sharing text books,
students have to worry about the costs they face *now.* Being able to
double their future earnings won't matter if they can't finish the
semester because they have to move home because they can't pay their
rent. No, college isn't a right, but why should we put unnecessary
financial walls in front of intelligent, driven students who really want
their degrees but are poor. I'd much rather have a class of students who
want to be in my classroom and who have to use library books, than a
class of rich kids who consider college just another entitlement and a
new book just one more charge on mommy or daddy's credit card.

This subject is particularly close to me because I have watched several
people leave college (in most cases permanently) because they had to
select between bills or tuition. It's painful to watch, and
heartbreaking for them to live through and to live with.

Cheers,
Pamela