Re: book sharing (was: Re: Pedagogy)

I used to teach at a state university. Several students there complained
that their textbooks for one semester cost more than their tuition. $500 or
more per semester for textbooks is common. It's a non-trivial expense,
especially for students who are trying to support themselves while in
college. I always try to make sure that one or two copies of my texts are on
reserve in the library (in-library use only) for those who are either
"financially embarrassed" or who don't want to lug a 2.3 kg book around all
day. The mass of physics texts is also a non-trivial concern.

Vickie Frohne