Re: book sharing (was: Re: Pedagogy)

The fact that it costs thousands of dollars a year to attend a college
also means that some students may be very short of the cash needed to
purchase a new $125 physics textbook. Very few
really "NEW" physics textbooks are published earh year. In most cases
the
"new" editions are really the old edition with minor changes in
the text and end-chapter problems.

Wouldn't it make sense to require the same physics textbook over a period
of 10 to 15 years? This might make the textbooks available at a cost
of $25 or less. Or are we woried too much about the authors' royalties
and less about the students' ability to pay.???

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where the real changes in physics textbooks each year
would fit into the space occupied by two or three anti-quarks.)

On Tue, 04 May 2004 10:42:11 -0600 Larry Smith <larry.smith@SNOW.EDU>