book sharing (was: Re: Pedagogy)

At 11:34 AM -0400 5/4/04, Michael Edmiston wrote:
Worse, we are finding that 50% (sometimes more) of our students don't
even buy the "required" textbook. They hope to save money and assume
they should be able to pass the course simply by coming to the lectures.
They think the only thing valuable in the textbook is the assigned
problems, and they can get those from someone who did buy the book. I
keep telling them it makes no sense for them to spend thousands of
dollars on tuition and room and board, and then risk this investment by
not spending an extra $100 for a textbook.

Book sharing is also common. This is causing me to experience a fair
number of the following student requests...

(1) Could I hand in the problems tomorrow because when I wanted to work
them last night the person I am sharing the book with had the book and
so I didn't have access to the problems.

(2) Can I take tomorrow's exam a day late because tonight is the other
person's night to have the textbook, so I won't be able to study until
tomorrow night.